Coaching Tip of the Month - September, 2003
"Balance is perhaps the most important word for a player or coach to
keep in mind."
Coach John Wooden, Hall of Fame Player and Coach
One of the keys to success in basketball and life is balance.
Balance and quickness should be emphasized in every basketball situation.
There are many types of balance that must be attended to in order for any
player to be effective in reaching their potential. Some of the most
important areas are:
- Basketball Balance
- Physical - Players must learn how to get in a quick stance and
maintain a quick stance with balance in order to attain maximum
- Offensive and Defensive - Both individuals and teams must
strive for balance between scoring and preventing opponents from
- Transition - On offense, teams must strike a balance between
offensive rebounding and establishing their defense, especially having a
safety back on defense. On defense, teams must establish a balance
between gaining possession of the ball (primarily through rebounding)
and pushing the ball up the court on the fast break.
- Inside and Outside - Again, players and teams should strive
toward achieving a balance between inside scoring moves and plays and
outside scoring opportunities.
- Players - A team should have a balance of players that can
excel at the primary basketball skills; ball handling, shooting,
rebounding, and defending.
- Team and Individual - Even though the primary focus in a team
sport such as basketball must be on team play, there should also be a
balance between that team play and individual play.
- Life/Personal Balance
- Emotional - One of the most challenging balance areas requires
us all to keep things in perspective in order to achieve
- Mental - Basketball is a game of finesse and reason, even
though quite physical in nature at times, therefore mental balance is
required for optimal achievement.
- Work and Play - The time honored balance between doing what is
required and what we prefer to do is always a struggle.
- Self and Others - One of the great lessons of a team sport is
to reduce the importance of self in order to serve others.
| Videos | Packages
| Contact | Ordering
Info | Newsletter |
Coaches Corner | Cart
Coach Jerry Krause, 502 E Boone, Spokane, WA